Piper PA-22 Tri-Pacer 135
The Piper PA-22 Tri-Pacer was a fixed-wing single-engine derivative of a variant of the PA-20 Pacer. The Pacer family was the main output of Piper Aircraft Corporation during the 1950’s and by 1957 over 6000 Tri-Pacers had been delivered. By the end of its production run, just under 9500 Tri-Pacers were built. As with most light 4-seat aircraft of the time, the Tri-Pacer served as both a civilian training aircraft and for personal use. One peculiarity was the odd mounting of the nose wheel that lead to the nickname “Flying Milk Stool.” Many Tri-Pacers are still flying to this date.
Manufactured by the Piper Aircraft Corporation in 1953
Last owned by Marcellus F. Foose of Blue Island, Illinois
|Crew:||1 (seats 4)|
|Wing Area:||147.5 sq. ft.|
|Weight:||Empty: 1,100 lb.; Max. 2,000 lb.|
|Speed:||Cruise - 134 mph; Max - 141 @7,000 ft.|
|Service Ceiling:||16,500 ft.|
|Engine:||Lycoming O-290-D2 (135 hp)|
This aircraft is on loan to Octave Chanute Aerospace Museum from the National Museum of the United States Airforce.