Originally designated A4D-1, the A-4 Skyhawk was designed in 1952 by Douglas Aircraft as a small, carrier-based ground attack aircraft capable of delivering a nuclear weapon. The Skyhawk entered service with the U.S. Navy and U.S. Marine Corps, and later served abroad. In Vietnam, 362 Skyhawks were lost serving as the Navy’s primary light attack bomber. The A-4 also fought in the Falklands War and with the Israeli Air Defense Force. Skyhawks are still in service with several air forces overseas, and as an aggressor aircraft for training purposes in the United States. Production for all A-4 variants totaled 2,960 aircraft.
Manufactured by Douglas Aircraft
1956, 11 December -- Accepted by U.S. Navy.
1956, 19 December -- To VA-93, “Blue Blazers,” USN Attack Squadron at NAS Alameda, CA.
1957, 16 September to 1958, 25 April -- Deployed with VA-93 in CVG-9 Carrier Air Group aboard USS Ticonderoga (CVA-14) to Western Pacific.
1958, 23 December -- To VA-56, “Champions,” USN Attack Squadron at NAS Miramar, CA.
1959, 27 May -- To VA-112, “Broncos,” USN Attack Squadron at NAS Miramar, CA.
1960, 23 March -- To VA-126, “Nulli Secundus,” USN Attack Squadron at NAS Miramar, CA. Fleet instrument training and aggressor aircraft.
1960, 30 November -- A4D-1 redesignated A-4A.
1961, 1 August -- To VA-125, “Rough Riders,” USN Attack Squadron at NAS Lemoore, CA.
1962, 9 July -- To Naval Air Reserve Training at NAS Los Alamitos, CA.
1963, May -- To storage facility, Litchfield Park, AZ.
1965, December -- To USAF Aircraft Storage & Disposition Group, Davis-Mothan AFB, Tucson, AZ.
1966, March -- To NAS Alameda, CA.
1966, June -- To Naval Air Rework Facility, NAS Alameda, CA.
1966, June -- To Naval Air Reserve Training, NAS Twin Cities, Minneapolis, MN.
1968, January -- Redesignated TA-4A.
1968, September -- To Naval Air Reserve Training, NAS Memphis, Memphis, TN.
1987, June -- To Nondestructive Inspection School, Chanute AFB, IL.
1988 -- To Static Display Chanute AFB Air Park
|Average Cost:||$860,000 each|
|Wingspan:||27 ft. 6 in.|
|Length:||38 ft 5 in|
|Height:||14 ft. 11 in.|
|Wing Area:||260 sq. ft.|
|Weight:||empty: 8,391 lb, loaded max. 19,910 lbs.|
|Engine:||Axial Flow Turbojet|
|Speed:||Cruise - 506 mph.; Max - 609 mph. @35,000 ft.|
|Service Ceiling:||49,000 ft.|
|Engines:||1-Wright j65-W-4 Turbojet (7,700 lbs. thrust)|
|Fuel:||1,810 gal. max (810) gal. internal; 1,000 gal. external)|
2 - 20mm Mk 12 cannon w/ 100 rounds each; 1 - Mk7 or Mk 8
This aircraft is on loan to Octave Chanute Air Museum from the National Naval Aviation Museum.